Wild mushrooms are something I have never given a lot of thought to, but today I really wished I had. You see, we decided to go for a stroll with Sheba, our dog into the local woods in Kilcolgan. Being close to these beautiful woodlands is one of the many reasons I love living here.
The woods are gorgeous and the trails are easy enough to access so that even with my leg problems I can get around. I even managed to hobble around them when I was on crutches and believe me, it cheered me up more than I can ever fully explain!
Today was no different and we had a great walk. What was a bit different was the sheer amount of wild mushrooms we kept seeing as we walked. We both decided that the next time we heard about a course in wild mushroom identification we would be doing it.
NO MUSHROOMS FOR DINNER!
It was frustrating to come across so many wild mushrooms and yet not be able to identify a single one. If we had, we might have brought some home and enjoyed eating them, but we couldn’t risk it.
WILD MUSHROOMS CAN BE EXTREMELY POISONOUS
Some wild mushrooms are extremely poisonous, so it simply wasn’t worth trying our luck. Still I took some photographs and if anyone out there thinks they can identify any of them please let me know in the comments.
The next two images below are of a lovely fairy tale type of mushroom, which was growing in a hole in the tree stump. I thought the tree stump was quite beautiful as well but then I do love tree stumps!
And the two below were taken just outside my front door. Both these quite different types of wild mushrooms are growing in a large wooden tub, along with a small conifer tree and assorted flowers. The small ones seem very fragile and come and go from day to day. The larger layered type almost seems to form part of the wood. They have a distinct quality about them, which makes me think of dusty old artifacts, lost and languishing in a cellar – for some strange reason!
So that was my day out – not identifying mushrooms! Like my old teachers used to say, ‘Grace could do better!’